Photobucket

Battle of the Shilohwaddy, 1944

Game Reports and Reviews

Battle of the Shilohwaddy, 1944

Postby Stavka » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:38 am

There's been a dearth of wargaming posts here recently- or just a dearth of posts in general. I fear WD3 has become a terminally-ill victim of the law of diminishing returns, so I suspect it might not have been the best use of my time posting this.

Think of it as an act of faith.

Anyway, just some pics of the game my mate Matt and I had back on 6/29. Bolt Action, but no points; we were using an orbat in a scenario from Neil Thomas’ One Hour Wargames. The scenario we are running was inspired by Shiloh of all things, with the Japanese taking on the role of the Rebs. We decided to make it a night action, using the night fighting and spotting rules from the Empires in Flames supplement.

No vehicles; this was to be an infantry fight, and the kind of game I feel BA works best with. The Japanese just had three vet squads and a mortar. The Commonwealth force had one squad of vet Gurkhas, three of regular British infantry, a sniper team and Vickers MMG.

They also got their usual free artillery barrage, but -as usual- it managed to rain down on Commonwealth heads.

A clear Japanese victory, but Gurkhas are Kryptonite for my Japanese- accounted for ten of my 13 total casualties. Way overpowered for what they were. By mutual agreement they will need to be nerfed for future games. They’re Nepalese Death Stars as written in the rules.

Lots of fun, though. We've had more than our money's worth out of the rules (and especially the scenarios in the OHWG book), the minis, and the time spent playing Bolt Action.

The scenario from OHWG. I can't recommend this book enough for scenario ideas, even if you never use the rules. We have used the scenarios successfully with Vikings vs. Saxons, Napoleonics, and now WW2.

"So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly arise and make them miserable."
-Aldous Huxley

http://serreslesrangs.blogspot.jp
Stavka
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Battle of the Shilohwaddy, 1944

Postby Etranger » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Tis a bit quiet.

The game looks good.
"Just an excitable boy..."
Etranger
Major

Postby subedai » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:36 am

Tasty looking game that.
subedai
Lieutenant

Postby Norman D. Landings » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:39 am

The Gurkhas have names - that’s aDORable!

I love the aquarium jungle terrain stands - dense and colourful. Really nice effect.
Norman D. Landings
Second Lieutenant

Return to Reports