Photobucket

General D'armee: Game #1

Game Reports and Reviews

General D'armee: Game #1

Postby ochoin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 am

Napoleonics was my first, & for a long time only, period. We used a variant of the olf WRG rules but I found them increasingly unsatisfactory. Hence, the look for something new. And I think we've found it!

'General D'armee' seems to tick all our boxes: unit & army size, Napoleonic tactics, relatively quick & decisive games &, not least, a load of fun.

Our trial game was the scenario from the rule book but with Confederation of the Rhine forces opposing the Russian army.

The battlefield:

We managed to run about 9 turns (out of a possible 16) in under 4 hours. I was the only one who'd read the rules & there was much leisurely explaining & discussing. With a little experience (next game!) I think the whole battle in 3 hours is realistic.

The game relies on your ability to plan & lead your small soldiers. Things don't always work out as you'd want them:

Just before a potentially game-winning charge, my C-o-tR cavalry brigade became hesitant & refused to move forwards.

Turn flanks, screen your advance, seize strong points & terrain features - it's a challenge.

Whilst the Russian cavalry seized the centre of the battlefield:

Certainly just as exciting as the actual shooting & melee was manoeuvre: both sides jockied for position.

Although units exist as battalions etc, the key element is the brigade: with all its components. Here is a Bavarian-Wurtemberger brigade with line infantry in columns, skirmishers to the fore & the brigade commander & ADCs controlling everything.

And a Westphalian-Polish brigade as well.

Difficulty in in the variety. Units are graded according to size & training. Large but poorly trained Russian Opolchenie must be handled appropriately in order to function constructively:

Although the game wasn't finished, The Russian artillery held the high ground & looked formidable:

I felt the rule book is lucid, the supporting You Tuibe videos useful but even after one game, I think the intuitive nature of the rules means you are gaming confidently.

donald
ochoin
Second Lieutenant

Re: General D'armee: Game #1

Postby Etranger » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:08 am

Nice explanation. I don't recall seeing your Napoleonic figures in close up before. They're very nicely done.
"Just an excitable boy..."
Etranger
Major

Postby ochoin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:14 am

Thanks. I got someone with skill to photograph them (I'm woeful). The older ones could do with re-basing.

donald
ochoin
Second Lieutenant

Postby Herkybird » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:16 pm

Glad you are happy with the rules! Its always nice to find a set you enjoy! The figures look rather splendid too!
Herkybird
Private
Private

Postby ochoin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Herkybird wrote:Glad you are happy with the rules! Its always nice to find a set you enjoy! The figures look rather splendid too!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to years of Napoleonic gaming after a 2 year hiatus.

donald
ochoin
Second Lieutenant

Postby paintinglittlesods » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:08 pm

I quite enjoyed the rules in the games we played so far. We hope to have a larger game in the xmas holidays as so far they have been small affairs.

Are these all 1/72 \ 20mm ?
paintinglittlesods
Private
Private

Postby ochoin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:12 am

paintinglittlesods wrote:Are these all 1/72 \ 20mm ?

Yes. Quite a mixture of manufacturers.

Any idea what you'll game? I found a Quatre Bras scenario for G D'a I'd like to use. I believe Mr Brown is putting out a scenario book, too.

It's not that I'm incapable of putting a scenario together but in these early stages of the game, it's important we use ones that will work, showcase mechanisms, provide a degree of challenge to both sides etc.

donald
ochoin
Second Lieutenant

Postby paintinglittlesods » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:48 am

The games so far fictitious ones involving Austrians and French using 28mm collections. We played a lot of British re-fights (in various scales and rules) in the last year or two so we lost interest in doing the same thing again.

I suspect it will be a part of the 1813 campaign as the general plan was to try Leipzig next year.
paintinglittlesods
Private
Private

Postby ochoin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:10 am

paintinglittlesods wrote:try Leipzig next year.

That will be a litmus test for G D'a. I'd be interested in hearing what mods (if any) you envisage for a game of this magnitude.

donald
ochoin
Second Lieutenant

Return to Reports