Photobucket

Eureka 18mm AWI – 300 Club

General Wargaming Discussion

Eureka 18mm AWI – 300 Club

Postby Timmo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:41 am

A new and potentially very exciting announcement from Eureka via their newsletter to officially launch the potential 18mm AWI range. Having wanted a range of this quality in 18mm for longer than I care to remember I'm very excited by this announcement. I have some sample castings in front of me and have painted one – they are absolute gems to work with. They are the best 15/18mm AWI figures I've seen.

Having spoken with Nic at Eureka about this project as long as it can be self-funding then the range will be expanded to be very comprehensive.

If you've not seen the newsletter, here are the details.

The next 300 Club project is 18mm American War of Independence. As you can see from the photo, Alan Marsh has reproduced one of his 28mm figures in 18mm as a sample of what the range will look like. Anyone who would like to see the sample ‘in the metal’, should send us an e-mail with their physical address to nicr@eurekamin.com.au and we will send one out for free.

The suggested first release would be:
300AWI001 Continental Infantry, ragged clothing, marching x 4 variants
300AWI002 Sergeant, foot, ragged clothing x 2 variants
300AWI003 Officer, foot, ragged clothing x 2 variants
300AWI004 Drummer, foot, ragged clothing x 2 variants
300AWI005 Standard Bearer, ragged clothing x 2 variants

Price per figure will be AUD$0.80

If we can raise AUD$600.00 with pre-orders, we will get them made. If this is successful future releases, made in the same way would include British Foot Guards, Hessians, Continentals in hunting shirts, British light infantry in campaign dress and British light dragoons. With an expectation that we would complete a full range in 18mm as long as the minimum requirements for paying the sculptors can be met each time.

If you want to subscribe to these figures, please e-mail and tell us how many of each code number you would like to purchase. If we reach AUD$600.00 of pre-orders we will then contact you for 50% of the purchase price and start the sculpting. We would hope to deliver within six weeks of sculpting starting. All orders of over AUD$100.00, will be delivered post free world wide.

(I've initially put myself down for AUD$100.)
Timmo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Eureka 18mm AWI – 300 Club

Postby Ronan the Librarian » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:05 am

Just to add that I've been called in to advise on uniforms etc for this range, and can thoroughly recommend it having seen early samples.
Ronan the Librarian
Major

Postby Etranger » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:31 am

I might drop young Nic a line tomorrow...
"Just an excitable boy..."
Etranger
Major

Postby Nordic weasel games » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:19 pm

This definitely has my interest. I've wanted to do AWI for some time, and this might be the jump off point
Creator of all manner of games from black powder to laser guns
http://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games
Nordic weasel games
Private
Private

Postby paintinglittlesods » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:49 am

Me too.

I do have some Peter Pig AWI but the fact I can pick up on location when I am in town is a great plus.
paintinglittlesods
Private
Private

Postby Etranger » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:27 am

In to the tune of 2 regiments worth. Ronan - how many flags per regiment: National and State? Or just one?
Etranger
Major

Postby Timmo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:50 am

All excellent news. I have to say the response here has been very positive.
Timmo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Ronan the Librarian » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:38 pm

Etranger wrote:In to the tune of 2 regiments worth. Ronan - how many flags per regiment: National and State? Or just one?

For wargames purposes, the most likely answer is just one, usually of a State-related design (eg rattlesnake with "don't tread on me"). In real life, many - but not all - regiments also had four "grand division" flags (one per two companies) which were red, white, blue and buff; these could be plain, or could have a small canton, holding a union flag early on in the war, and a design of 13 stars later on (not the white circle of stars on blue, usually just a set of coloured stars on white. There was a plan in 1779 to create a two-flag system, similar to that used by the British, and we know that large quantities of material were purchased in the four colours used as facings in the 1779 Clothing Regs, and also dark blue, sufficient to make a facing-coloured regimental colour and a dark blue national colour. The idea stalled because nobody could agree on a national symbol to put on the blue flag and the war ended with no flag styles being agreed. Eventually, of course, the eagle was chosen some years after the AWI ended, but options considered before that included a turkey and a beaver*.

[* This was around the time of the quasi-war with France, which could have resulted in two armies facing off with a cock and a beaver as their emblems. Or a turkey and a chicken. ]
Ronan the Librarian
Major

Postby Etranger » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:51 am

Ronan the Librarian wrote:
Etranger wrote:In to the tune of 2 regiments worth. Ronan - how many flags per regiment: National and State? Or just one?

... Eventually, of course, the eagle was chosen some years after the AWI ended, but options considered before that included a turkey and a beaver*.

[* This was around the time of the quasi-war with France, which could have resulted in two armies facing off with a cock and a beaver as their emblems. Or a turkey and a chicken. ]

If only!

Thanks Ronan. I've gone for a nominal 750 man per regiment strength, on a 1:25 basis, which based on my limited research is 'about right' for paper strength for the Continental Army. I assume, as per most 18th century armies, that actual strength was usually somewhat lower...
Etranger
Major

Postby paintinglittlesods » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:19 am

I have never used the 300 thing before so I made a nominal order of about 30 blokes.
paintinglittlesods
Private
Private

Postby GavinP » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:40 pm

8mm too big...
GavinP
Beardo
Beardo

Postby Ronan the Librarian » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Etranger wrote:Thanks Ronan. I've gone for a nominal 750 man per regiment strength, on a 1:25 basis, which based on my limited research is 'about right' for paper strength for the Continental Army. I assume, as per most 18th century armies, that actual strength was usually somewhat lower...

Yes, considerably so - to the point that Steuben ordered any battalion more than 160 files (320 R&F) strong was to be broken up into two units. 750 is more or less ok for the first two campaigns of the war (Boston and New York), when recruiting was productive and units were indeed very large. After that 4-500 becomes more the norm, and from 1778 onwards 2-300 is much more usual. From the end of 1776 onwards, it is not uncommon to find small regiments in the same brigade combined to form a single unit, and this becomes so frequent by the end of 1777 that Continental army returns are altered to be by brigade, not individual regiments.
Ronan the Librarian
Major

Postby Timmo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:54 am

GavinP wrote:8mm too big...

Some folks have told me they are 10mm too small but then Eureka already do them in 28mm. With the AWI it seems that 28mm is apparently 'the' size to use but I think it's better suited to the smaller scales to enable more manoeuvre and especially flanking moves that make the linear combat of the period more interesting as a game. These 18mm figures fit nicely on 10mm frontage per casting so they don't take up that much space. With the rules I'm adapting and the basing regime I'm going to use I'll be able to deploy in any order/frontage, that is assuming the figures make it to production.

One chap has pre-ordered 1/3 of the total needed and with the orders from other folks, including my own and those here we are now over half way there. Eureka USA will have samples at Historicon so I'm hopeful that this might stimulate more orders and be enough to tip us into production. If the numbers get very close but not quite enough I expect I'll order some more to get them made. I ended up doing that with the decals I asked Dom to produce for the WW1 planes.
Timmo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby paintinglittlesods » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Half way already is pretty good and if it's close I'll just get more
paintinglittlesods
Private
Private

Postby Etranger » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:37 am

I received a sample figure from Nic this week. Usual Eureka loveliness, neatly cast with no flash, in the slender style they've also used for their SYW range. I'm no expert on the uniform but it looks right to me.
Etranger
Major

Postby paintinglittlesods » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Does anyone know how this run is getting on ?

Cheers
paintinglittlesods
Private
Private

Postby Ronan the Librarian » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:54 pm

I'm about to send the sculptor some references for more Continental command figures, both early and late war (ie officers, ensigns, sergeants, drummers, fifers).
Ronan the Librarian
Major

Return to Wargaming