Photobucket

SYW Campaign updated 3rd Aug

Game Reports and Reviews

SYW Campaign updated 3rd Aug

Postby olicana » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:37 pm

Well, we are now four turns into our 1757 campaign based on the Bohemian Blitzkrieg campaign in the Warfare in the Age of Reason supplement. We are not using AoR for the battles so there has had to be a bit of fiddling, but it is going fairly well thus far. This week we are going to fight out the third clash. It is the biggest battle so far and the terrain is suitably open for it.

The campaign reports can be found here: http://olicanalad.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Bohemian%20Blitzkrieg%201757%20campaign%20%28Summer%202016%29

And the Battle of Sobotka set up looks like this:

I'll keep you posted.......
Last edited by olicana on Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My whoring and daubing: http://olicanalad.blogspot.co.uk/
olicana
Company Sergeant
Company Sergeant

Re: SYW Campaign

Postby SteveJ » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:41 pm

I've ticked "More of please" :D

Found this fascinating. Forgive me of you've mentioned this, but I forget stuff these days- are these home brewed campaign rules? How do you manage cross country movement? Or don't you bother?
I can't find on the blog any specifics about the actual transfer of proceedings from the map to the tabletop (other than that bit about numbers and table edges). Then again, I'm crap at navigating blogs- I think it's because everything's upside down :lol:
What triggers the battle exactly?

All looks great btw.
SteveJ
Major

Postby olicana » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:22 am

Hi SteveJ,

The campaign rules are by Todd Kershner and Dale Wood and were published in Campaigns And Battles From The Age Of Reason. They were written for Warfare In The Age Of Reason table-top rules. We are using the campaign rules, with some amendments to allow us to use our own version of Piquet to fight the battles, pretty much as written. They work something like this:

Firstly, the map is point to point, so you can only go where the points are joined. This is not to some peoples tastes but I've always been a fan as I think the advantages far out weigh the disadvantages. I look at it like this, big armies don't travel 'cross country' as they require lots of supplies which must use good roads; when a general looks at his maps he can work out the general axis of any enemy advances because he knows which roads the enemy will have to use; etc. Anyway, at the start of the campaign (moves 1 - 3) the Prussians can move three dots per move, otherwise everything moves two dots. To move, each general must roll a D6 and add his initiative value - a 6 or more allows movement. As things move the dots become 'owned' by the player who last moved through them - we change the pin colour - and these lines of dots are lines of supply - and can be cut.

At the end of each turn, if two forces are in the same dot there is a contact and the Pre battle manoeuvre sequence begins. In the rules this is given as a flow chart. It's pretty easy to follow and goes something like this. Both sides secretly say fight or withdraw. If either withdraws no battle. If both choose to fight both sides roll a dice, adding a few simple factors, and the winner has the initiative; if the score is equal an encounter battle is fought on one randomly decided map, otherwise the winner rolls six d100 to generate six random battlefields (the rule book comes with several pages with 100 battlefields) like this:

The winning player chooses three. One is then picked at random (d3). The player decides which side of the map he would deploy. Both sides secretly decide to fight or continue to manoeuvre. If both decide to fight then a battle ensues. If one decides to manoeuvre for a better position it goes to another roll for initiative and six more fields being chosen as in the previous round. After determining the battlefield and so forth both sides secretly decide to fight or withdraw. If both decide to fight a battle ensues. If both sides decide to withdraw then no battle. If one side decides to withdraw he takes 'pursuit fire' as he is harassed out of the dot. It is a pretty basic, and abstracted way of gaining a tactical advantage but it is quick and gives the feeling that your generals are earning their corn. BTW, the secret thing is easy as we are playing by email and I'm the umpire for the other two players. Without an umpire you must play the map stuff face to face and can write 'secret orders' on paper, or my choice is to cover a coin on the back of the hand and show at the same time with heads (fight), tails (retreat).

Forces use the tried and tested method of Strength Points with an army being worked out each time it fights with its proportions by troop type being by percentages. Again this doesn't suit all as some like to have units that lose casualties in one battle turning up at the next depleted. In theory this is much better and more accurate but requires a lot of book keeping - and frankly, I don't have the time or patience. With SPs you just need a way to transfer any table casualties into overall SP loss - job done.

Winners and losers of the campaign are decided at its end (12 turns) by victory points earned. The map has numbers at some dots giving VPs. One VP is also earned for every SP the enemy loses in the campaign. The dots (except a few which start as possible Prussian starting dots) all begin as Austrian. They soon become more equal. At the end of the campaign, if you are 21 or more better you get a scant victory, graduating to, at 76+ or more, a historic victory.

So that's the basic nuts and bolts.
olicana
Company Sergeant
Company Sergeant

Postby Ronan the Librarian » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:56 am

SteveJ wrote:What triggers the battle exactly?

Usually two groups of blokes getting a bit cross with each other. :sick1:
Ronan the Librarian
Major

Postby SteveJ » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:29 pm

Appreciate the thorough reply James- I don't think it's a million miles away from the Blucher Scharnhorst campaign rules.
They're actually more basic than even your "nuts&bolts" summation, although a key difference is that you get the battlefield terrain that's already in the squares chosen for battle (yes 'squares'; that's how basic movement is).

There are certain small details added, eg the superior scouting abilities conferred on the forces with most light cavalry. You're lucky to have a couple of players who are willing to commit to battle, as it were, at short notice. Have you considered something like Skype instead of email for that little bit more immediacy?
SteveJ
Major

Postby SteveJ » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:31 pm

Ronan the Librarian wrote:
SteveJ wrote:What triggers the battle exactly?

Usually two groups of blokes getting a bit cross with each other. :sick1:

It usually starts after the extra grog ration- then someone in the front rank says "Who are you looking at?". At which point, it either kicks off, or one of the "camp followers" pipes up with "Leave it Obediah- he's not worth it".
SteveJ
Major

Postby olicana » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:39 am

The thing about email over skype is that no times need to be arranged. The two players, one pretty much retired and the other at a computer at work all day, are always able to send three or four emails a day when required. Here, at this end I work from home so after plotting any moves I can quickly do a post on the blog with a photo of the map and the roster sheets like this one:

http://olicanalad.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/bohemian-blitzkrieg-turn-4-austrian.html

This allows the players to see the board from wherever they are and it's the main reason for the blow by blow posts. As we only meet to game on Wednesdays there will always be a week in which to get the campaign moves done and the next battle organised.

The only major change that has had to be made to the campaign move system for email to work is that players must send in all their ordered moves at the same time in their phase and I roll for initiative to carry them out and report successes only - in the original rules the player picks a general, rolls for him, then moves if the roll is successful before moving on to the next general. It is a significant change but one everyone is happy with it, though I've heard Maria Theresa (Graham) curse Macquire on a couple of occasions and Frederick (Peter) have one or two choice words for his brother Henry. :lol:
olicana
Company Sergeant
Company Sergeant

Postby SteveJ » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:06 pm

Yep- I can see the sense behind that. Looking forward to watching this evolve.
It's nudged me to get my arse in gear and fight the bash I've set up- I finished the campaign pre-amble about 6 months ago...
SteveJ
Major

Postby olicana » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:32 pm

olicana
Company Sergeant
Company Sergeant

Postby olicana » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:20 pm

We are now on turn seven and Prince Henry has been out manoeuvred by Charles of Lorraine in our 1757 Bohemian campaign.

The field has been set up, the OOBs have been decided, everything is ready to go for tomorrow night's gaming session. It looks like quite nice terrain to fight on. If Prussia pulls this one off it will be the talk of Europe!

Details of the pre-battle manoeuvre phases and OOBs, etc., here:

http://olicanalad.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/bohemian-blitzkrieg-campaign-turn-seven_2.html

Here are a couple of pics of the field and forces (to be deployed). You can see that Henry has his work cut out.

I've also taken to doing garish plans of the battlefields for the players to note their deployments prior to set up - it's been ages since I've done this:

Hope you like it
olicana
Company Sergeant
Company Sergeant

Return to Reports