Photobucket

Third time lucky

Game Reports and Reviews

Third time lucky

Postby ochoin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:40 am

As advertised, we fought the smple scenario from the 'General D'armee' rule book a third time.

A few photos.....

The Swedish cavalry advances to screen the heights & allow their slower foot artillery to man the redoubt.

The Confederation infantry force marches to seize the village.

whilst army commander, General Poniatowski watches on.

The Wurttemburg Line infantry garrison the village.

Whilst the Russian infantry advances to menace the garrison.

And the Wurttemburgers deploy light infantry skirmishers to slow the advance.

Wurttemburg artillery fires on the redoubt.

And Westphalian infantry mount an assault.

An aerial view (didn't know Napoleon had drones, did you?)

The game more or less followed the same tactics as the first two. Clearly the best solutions to the tactical problems set by the scenario?

Dice results did change things & a narrow Swedish-Russian victory of Game #2 became a narrow Confederation of the Rhine victory for Game #3

donald
ochoin
Second Lieutenant

Re: Third time lucky

Postby wrgmr1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:03 pm

Good looking game! Nice to see the minor nations on the table.
wrgmr1
Private
Private

Postby Herkybird » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:31 pm

Lovely figures! Thanks for posting the game!
Herkybird
Private
Private

Postby paintinglittlesods » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:07 pm

I played a large game last week and it was great fun (http://chasseuracheval.blogspot.co.nz/).

Even after a month of two hiatus the basic rules were easy to grasp and we made an effort to try out all the command options available. As Mark states we only had to check the master rules once or twice.
paintinglittlesods
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby ochoin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:56 pm

paintinglittlesods wrote:I played a large game last week and it was great fun (http://chasseuracheval.blogspot.co.nz/).

Even after a month of two hiatus the basic rules were easy to grasp and we made an effort to try out all the command options available. As Mark states we only had to check the master rules once or twice.

From the look of your very nice game, we're probably on the same page as far as Napoleonic gaming goes. I'm entirely happy with G D'a ........but being me, there's a couple of niggles.

For example, cavalry speeds. As you know, all cavalry move at the same speed in the game. I'm trying *not* to mess with the rules but I'm thinking I need to let Light cav move longer distances than cuirassiers etc.
Your thoughts?

donald
ochoin
Second Lieutenant

Postby Essex Boy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:57 pm

Smashing looking game, Donald.
Essex Boy
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby paintinglittlesods » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:58 pm

ochoin wrote:
paintinglittlesods wrote:I played a large game last week and it was great fun (http://chasseuracheval.blogspot.co.nz/).

From the look of your very nice game, we're probably on the same page as far as Napoleonic gaming goes. I'm entirely happy with G D'a ........but being me, there's a couple of niggles.

For example, cavalry speeds. As you know, all cavalry move at the same speed in the game. I'm trying *not* to mess with the rules but I'm thinking I need to let Light cav move longer distances than cuirassiers etc.
Your thoughts?

donald

Yeah. On the "forwards" command seeing extra heavy cavalry rampage faster than light cavalry was a (to me) a bit odd, though I enjoyed the swings in activity, despite one division being hesitant for six turns regardless of ADC's applied.

My biggest problem is my basing. We used Mark's collection for the game but mine is based differently of course and I'm bot that willing to rebase them again (I have around 2000 28mm figures)
paintinglittlesods
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby ochoin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 pm

paintinglittlesods wrote:[

Yeah. On the "forwards" command seeing extra heavy cavalry rampage faster than light cavalry was a (to me) a bit odd, though I enjoyed the swings in activity, despite one division being hesitant for six turns regardless of ADC's applied.

My biggest problem is my basing. We used Mark's collection for the game but mine is based differently of course and I'm bot that willing to rebase them again (I have around 2000 28mm figures)

Let me think about changing cavalry movement & I'll get back to you. Indeed, we should share any mods we come up with. Although I'm an addicted tinkerer with rules, my gut instinct with these ones is to try & not change much as I'd hate to upset the game balance.

Brigade Hesitation is fantastic. In that last game, the CotR commander wanted his brigade of decent Bavarian Line to assault the redoubt but as it wouldn't move he sent in his poor Westphalian brigade....with the obvious consequences.

donald
ochoin
Second Lieutenant

Postby paintinglittlesods » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:07 am

I can't imagine we would make barely any changes which is a good sign.
paintinglittlesods
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby Stavka » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:43 am

Tinkering with rules is the Sport of Kings; I love doing it myself.

But I’m always trying to be aware of the law of unintended consequences, and of course needing to be aware of what the designers goals and intentions were. Even then I feel a ruleset should be played at least five times as written before making any changes.

Of course, some systems are more resilient to tinkering than others. Very much akin to what Wellington had to say about the advantages of knotted ropes over fine leather harnesses.

And that’s a great looking game, Donald. More, please.
"So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly arise and make them miserable."
-Aldous Huxley

http://serreslesrangs.blogspot.jp
Stavka
Corporal
Corporal

Postby ochoin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:18 am

Stavka wrote:
But I’m always trying to be aware of the law of unintended consequences, and of course needing to be aware of what the designers goals and intentions were.

And that’s a great looking game, Donald. More, please.

I think, too, rule mods are an expression of *your* prejudices. "Surely, the 95th Rifles were more effective than that!" etc
And even if you could justify some desired change to 'General D'armee' that most would consider acceptable, the "designer's goal" of creating a reasonably simple & reasonably quick set of rules is to be considered. As you said.

We look like having another game quite soon. I have a simplified map & scenario for Albuera but I've placed the battle after a fictional French victory at Waterloo. Hence, an Anglo-Dutch force defending against an 1815 French army.
I've downgraded the Dutch to Recruit status not because I think them awful troops but because after a French victory, I think the heart would have left them. Various units on both sides will be Small or Campaign worn.

See how it goes.

donald
ochoin
Second Lieutenant

Return to Reports