Photobucket

soldering questions and advice

General Wargaming Discussion

soldering questions and advice

Postby olicana » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:59 pm

Soldering NOT soldiering ;)

Some time ago I purchased a heap of SYW figs on ebay. They were very cheap, partly I reckon, because several had lost their bayonets. Now, I will be happy to file off several more bayonets and have a whole unit without fixed bayonets - but they will be out of place with the rest of the army. How much better if I could replace them.

The bayonets are off set to the barrel so glue & pin will not work - 1 hour araldite might, but we are talking bayonets.......ping - so the only alternative I can think of is to solder on some new ones. How easy is this to do? What size iron would I need to buy? How useful are they - cost benefit - over several years (I don't do anything electronic)?

advice please,

james
My whoring and daubing: http://olicanalad.blogspot.co.uk/
olicana
Company Sergeant
Company Sergeant

Re: soldering questions and advice

Postby grizzlymc » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Cut 'em off!

And as for the other, keep your boots clean and your back straight.
grizzlymc
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby Brian Horrocks » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:37 pm

Awkward in the extreme you need a low powered heat controlled soldering iron(for circuit board work) and even then the smallest slip will result in ruining your figure. Ive managed to do it at about a 50% success rate and that is using heat sinks etc and im very experienced in soldering electronic components (im a electrician). Unless you have experience and are willing to accept a fair level of mishaps i wouldnt bother gluing is better.
When the tide runs low in the smugglers cove and the headless horseman is seen above......what's the last line?
Brian Horrocks
Beardo
Beardo

Postby olicana » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Brian Horrocks wrote:Awkward in the extreme you need a low powered heat controlled soldering iron(for circuit board work) and even then the smallest slip will result in ruining your figure. Ive managed to do it at about a 50% success rate and that is using heat sinks etc and im very experienced in soldering electronic components (im a electrician). Unless you have experience and are willing to accept a fair level of mishaps i wouldnt bother gluing is better.

I thought you were a butcher ;)
olicana
Company Sergeant
Company Sergeant

Postby grizzlymc » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:55 pm

So do his clients, particularly the one who turned on the shower and got an afro!
grizzlymc
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby doug » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:17 pm

Brian Horrocks wrote:Awkward in the extreme you need a low powered heat controlled soldering iron(for circuit board work) and even then the smallest slip will result in ruining your figure. Ive managed to do it at about a 50% success rate and that is using heat sinks etc and im very experienced in soldering electronic components (im a electrician). Unless you have experience and are willing to accept a fair level of mishaps i wouldnt bother gluing is better.

I disagree. It's a pretty straightforward procedure that you should be able to master very quickly. And you can get by with a cheap (£15) 25w iron from the local DIY shop. Essentially the trick is to heat the pin and not the figure. Do it right and you'll have a bond that is stronger than the musket. My mate Dave provides a handy tutorial here (and check the comments too):
http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/ ... onets.html

John Ray is also an expert soldier solderer.
doug
Private
Private

Postby olicana » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Thanks for the link.
olicana
Company Sergeant
Company Sergeant

Postby John Ray » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:09 pm

With the right approach, as Doug mentions, one can solder 20 bayonets a minute.

John
John Ray
Private
Private

Postby Etranger » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:34 pm

"Just an excitable boy..."
Etranger
Major

Postby Brian Horrocks » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:08 am

olicana wrote:
I thought you were a butcher ;)

Eh?
thats a reasonable tutorial if you feel confidant give it a shot ive never had consistent results hence the post but its my opinion if at first you dont succeed head for the pub.
When the tide runs low in the smugglers cove and the headless horseman is seen above......what's the last line?
Brian Horrocks
Beardo
Beardo

Postby John Ray » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:07 am

This morning had to fit a new tip to my soldering iron. The tip of the tip was close to falling off after so much use. A tip will last about a year but I use nearly everyday, rarely use glue. I could not make all the figure variants without an iron.
On a serious note, I have been using a soldering iron for over 30 years and I still treat it with respect. It is a very dangerous piece of equipment and I never use it when children are in the house. I use it for the tasks required and then unplug. If you use one remember they come with a 'Safety Warning'!

John
John Ray
Private
Private

Postby Der Alte Fritz » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:06 pm

I have gamed with Peter Gilder's old SYW army (Hinchcliffe) and the old son of a gun put pin bayonets on EVERY musket barrel. :shock:

Even though you know that the sharp pins are there, they still manage to impale you when you play with them.

:sniper1: :zap: :frocket:
Der Alte Fritz
Private
Private

Postby John Ray » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:15 pm

I must have soldered 20000 bayonets on figures in my time!

John
John Ray
Private
Private

Postby goat major » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:31 am

What impresses me John is how you get them to impale an opponents fingers just prior to an important dice roll
Twittings: @goatmajor
Bloggings: simonspaintingblogandstuff.blogspot.com
goat major
Llama Corporal
Llama Corporal

Postby BaronVonWreckedoften » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:27 pm

No, impaling the opponent's dice so they always show a "1" - that would be impressive.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Major

Return to Wargaming