Photobucket

SELWG anyone?

General Wargaming Discussion

Re: SELWG anyone?

Postby Simon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:21 am

Giles, you could do the Northern stuff as more large skirmishes, quite a few of the battles were very small affairs. Once you have the Spanish though, they would cover both theatres as the uniforms didn't appear to alter much.
Simon
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby bigredbat » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:44 am

[quote="Essex Boy"]It was nice to catch up with Simon, Ronan and LT again and to finally meet Fat Wally but I failed miserably to say hello to BRB - definitely next time./quote]

I asked for you at the Loughton Strike Force game, and they all said they were Essex Boys! It was like that scene from Spartacus.... ;-)
bigredbat
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby Essex Boy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:06 pm

bigredbat wrote:
Essex Boy wrote:It was nice to catch up with Simon, Ronan and LT again and to finally meet Fat Wally but I failed miserably to say hello to BRB - definitely next time./quote]

I asked for you at the Loughton Strike Force game, and they all said they were Essex Boys! It was like that scene from Spartacus.... ;-)

I can see that could be confusing. To avoid any doubt in the future, I'm the good looking one.
Essex Boy
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby Essex Boy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Giles wrote:Simon's going to be hearing from me shortly on the Liberators front....

I'm planning on using close-order Napoleonic style bases, i.e. the same sizes I use for GdB. One thing that does have me stumped is what the groundwork should look like. Never having been to South America I haven't a clue what the ground and flora looks like. I suppose any old statis grass would work, but nowadays you can buy it in so many different colours that's there's almost an embrasse de riches or whatever the frog saying is. Might have to pop over to the Liberators yahoo group. At the moment I'm toying with the idea of doing the Northern war in 25mm and the earlier Southern war in 15mm.

A year or so ago I took advantage of Grenadier's free carriage offer so I have a bunch of very nice 15mm figures........trouble is, Simon's chaps are really rather excellent as well (the new Gauchos are really special). I was thinking of basing for BP......initially anyway.

Iain

Hold up! It's not Grenadier is it? Or is it?
Essex Boy
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby grizzlymc » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:32 am

Giles wrote:Simon's going to be hearing from me shortly on the Liberators front....

I'm planning on using close-order Napoleonic style bases, i.e. the same sizes I use for GdB. One thing that does have me stumped is what the groundwork should look like. Never having been to South America I haven't a clue what the ground and flora looks like. I suppose any old statis grass would work, but nowadays you can buy it in so many different colours that's there's almost an embrasse de riches or whatever the frog saying is. Might have to pop over to the Liberators yahoo group. At the moment I'm toying with the idea of doing the Northern war in 25mm and the earlier Southern war in 15mm.

Until they came south from Ecuador, the north was tropical. Battles would tend to be in cleared valleys, but greenish tufty bases would be the go - have a look at google earth for some of the battle sites.
Most of Peru was desert and semi desert. The sand has a distinctive orange hue (to quote Churchill on egypt, not quite salmon) and small mid calf length herbs are common in the valleys. If you are doing Sucrte's campaigns ending in Ayucucho much of it was fought in valleys fed by Andean meltwater which are very green.

For Chile, the entire Guerra de la Patria Vieja was fought between Santiago and a bit south of Concepcion in Chile's Valle central. This gets 1500 to 3000 mm of rain per year and is now intensely cultivated. In those days there would have been cultivation around serttlements, pasture in a ring around that and the remains of the pre colonisation forest outside that - european grass. Likewise the three battles and several actions of San MArtin and O'Higgin's later campaigns except - Chacabuco. When San Martin crossed the Andes, he arrived in a cultivated valley fed by Andean meltwater, but he then crossed an east west range of hills which was arid (orange sand with cactus, small shrubs and scattered 2m high "trees", a couple of photos I took of the Chqacabuco battlefield are in the Liberators photo section.

I just base all my stuff for Chile on green bases and Chacabuco will look a bit funny with units on green bases and a brown cloth, because you use most of these units for Concepcion, Cancha Rayada and Maipu which were fought in the central valley, although in the case of Maipu it may have been similar to Chacabuco, somebody put a suburb there in the sixties and the battlefield is built over.
grizzlymc
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Previous

Return to Wargaming