Photobucket

Flocking brilliant!

General Wargaming Discussion

Flocking brilliant!

Postby ochoin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:27 am

I suppose all you clever chaps have known the expert way to flock for years.

However, thanks to this Terrain Tutor video, I have been admitted to flocking secrets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj1q1hK-9qk

For those of you without the time to watch, the chief trick is to use 3 tone flocks. Just like you paint with a mid tone, shade & highlight, so do you flock with three types of flocking. Brilliant!

I've been working on a piece of swamp-terrain & it looks very good.

donald
ochoin
Second Lieutenant

Re: Flocking brilliant!

Postby Etranger » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:01 am

I tip all the excess loose flock/static grass etc that I use into one tin & that becomes the default basing mix. There are probably 8-10 different shades in there over the years.
"Just an excitable boy..."
Etranger
Major

Postby ochoin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:25 am

Etranger wrote:I tip all the excess loose flock/static grass etc that I use into one tin & that becomes the default basing mix. There are probably 8-10 different shades in there over the years.

My practice, too. The point is that all your flocking ends up looking the same over time. However, adding a pinch of - separate - light, than slightly more dark & then your normal (medium) flock means a more realistic effect. Depending on the terrain location, the ratios vary.

Now I don't want to be like an anti-smoking ex-smoker, hectoring all who light up, but change your flocking practice now!! :P

donald
ochoin
Second Lieutenant

Postby subedai » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:00 pm

Another big mix for me as well. Normally, I will but a couple of different colours, add them to the pot and just give the whole thing a good mixing. I might now get the different colours for larger projects than 6mm bases.

MickS
subedai
Lieutenant

Postby Kreoseus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:17 pm

I have a few separate boxes and a greatest hits mix in a big biscuit tin, anything that falls off goes in there to add to the rich diversity of bits.
I need your clothes, your boots and your unicycle...
Kreoseus
Major

Return to Wargaming