Photobucket

Napoleonic Campaign Maps

General Wargaming Discussion

Napoleonic Campaign Maps

Postby thistlebarrow » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:24 am

My summer project is to make new maps for my 1813 Napoleonic campaign. At present I use homemade maps of Germany and Spain. I use an AA Road Atlas as the template for the maps, but have found that the information shown is too modern and does not have sufficient terrain information.

My plan is to create a new set of maps, again using the Road Atlas as my main reference. But this time I will start with a map of Europe. Then one of Germany, France, Spain and Italy. Finally I will make new maps for each of the five campaign areas, three in Germany and two in Spain.

All of the maps will interface, though they will be in different scales. I will not make the mistake of trying to use actual terrain and road systems. The towns and cities will be more or less correct. The borders will be approximate. The major road system will be between capital cities, with a secondary system between them and main cities and towns. Major rivers will be approximate, but all other terrain fictional.

This week’s entry on my Napoleonic Wargaming blog explains the background to the project and in particular the map of Europe. It also includes the completed map.

You can find the blog here

http://napoleonicwargaming.blogspot.com/
thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Re: Napoleonic Campaign Maps

Postby thistlebarrow » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:51 am

My previous attempts at map making were to make them as all inclusive as possible. I tried to show all towns, roads and terrain features on all of the maps, including those covering large areas such as Germany or Spain. The result was a very crowded map on which it was difficult to orientate, particularly when viewed on the campaign diary blog.

I have now made much less detailed maps for Europe, Germany and Spain. I have also used a hex grid, rather than squares. On the map of Europe I highlight capital cities with a town icon. The rest of the hex have a name only, no town icon.

On the maps of Germany and Spain I again use the hex system, but this time I use a town icon to indicate whether it is a city or town, and whether fortified or not. I do not show any roads or terrain features.

You can find the blog here

thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby thistlebarrow » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:18 am

The campaign maps have always been very stylised, in order to transfer the campaign battles to the wargames table. The end result was very practical, but not very realistic.

The new maps of Europe, France, Germany, Spain and Italy are even more stylised, and show no terrain features or roads.

The new regional maps are designed to look more natural, and to indicate the terrain and road system. However they are not to scale. This is to avoid the previous need to put all cities and towns in the centre of their campaign area.

You can find all three maps here

thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby thistlebarrow » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:56 am

There are four maps of Spain on the Napoleonic Wargaming blog this week. One is the previous comprehensive map drawn to scale and showing all major road, river and terrain features, plus all major cities and towns.

There are two new maps covering the same area, but showing major cities which are also campaign objectives. One is hex and the second square grid. Each one is a campaign phase.

The fourth map is a very detailed one showing all of the information necessary to produce the tactical (wargame) map for each campaign phase.

You can find all three maps here

thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby thistlebarrow » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:46 pm

There are five maps on the Napoleonic Wargame blog this week.

The basic map of Spain shows the campaign area of the British campaign in the north and the Spanish campaign in the south.

The maps of northern and southern Spain are more detailed, showing major terrain features, the road system and regional borders.

From the appropriate regional map I make a strategic map for each campaign phase. These show minor roads and the nine towns which will feature in the campaign.

Finally there is a tactical, or wargame, map. This is the real campaign map and allows me to transfer campaign battles to the wargames table.

thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby thistlebarrow » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:55 am

To complete the national maps I have added France and Italy. My current campaign is confined to Germany, Portugal and Spain. As a result I only made maps of those three countries when I set up the campaign.

My previous maps were to scale, and I found it difficult to produce a map of Europe which would show both Germany, Portugal and Spain, yet still show sufficient detail when shown on the campaign diary blog.

The new set of maps are not to scale. They are a collection of major cities, each of which is a campaign objective. The strategic maps, those of Europe and the national maps, show much less detail. They are also hex rather than square. This makes it easier to show the cities of interest in the campaign.

The new strategic maps contain much less information, and are much easier to make. I decided to produce a national map of both France and Italy, in case I wanted to extend the campaign in the future.

The current blog shows both of these maps, plus both the old and new map of Europe.

thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Return to Wargaming