Photobucket

1813 Erfurt Campaign

General Wargaming Discussion

1813 Erfurt Campaign

Postby thistlebarrow » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:27 pm

This is the twenty fifth phase of our 1813 campaign, and the fifth set in central Germany. The French have won three of the previous phases, and the Russians only one. The Russians lost the previous phase and have retreated east to Erfurt.

The campaign opens with both armies at full strength and fully supplied. The Russians hold Erfurt and are deployed over a wide area to maintain their supplies. The Russian objective is to hold the line of the river Saale and, of course, the city of Erfurt.

The introduction to the campaign is now on the campaign diary blog. It includes the five maps used to plan the campaign, plus photos of the two armies. There is also a short history of the whole campaign in central Germany, campaign objectives and a short order of battle.

You can find the campaign diary blog here
http://1813pbemcampaigndiary.blogspot.com.es/
thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Re: 1813 Erfurt Campaign

Postby Nordic weasel games » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:48 pm

Super ambitious and super cool.

Think the Russians will manage a comeback?
Creator of all manner of games from black powder to laser guns
http://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games
Nordic weasel games
Private
Private

Postby paintinglittlesods » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:18 pm

When I was playing in the campaign I never really paid much attention to the greater situation so its good to read all the blogs again to actually notice what else was going on.
paintinglittlesods
Private
Private

Postby thistlebarrow » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:55 am

Nordic

Because the rules rely on luck, in the form of dice, it really is very difficult to anticipate what will happen. Indeed probably impossible. Because Jan and I have wargamed together for so long, neither of us tend to make many simple mistakes. I tend to take the aggressive side as I like to experiment with different tactics and options. She likes to let me take the intiative until I make a mistake, and then make me pay for it! We don’t keep any record of how many games I win and lose, so who commands which army does not give any indication of how a new campaign phase will go.

Looking back over the whole campaign the French (usually me) won 11 and the allies 13. In almost all campaigns the results are fairly even, even in Spain the French only won two of the four campaign phases. The Austrians have won all five of the campaigns fought in southern Germany. There is no obvious reason for this unique outcome. There were 17 battles fought over the five campaigns. The French won 6, the Austrians 11.

Those of you who have read my series of blogs Comprehensive Wargame System will know that all of the armies are pretty even in numbers, type of troops and combat ability at the start of each campaign. Each has national strengths and weakeness, and perhaps the French are slightly stronger overall. Despite this the Austrians managed to win every single campaign. No sense or reason in that, they (or rather Jan) must have just rolled better dice on the day(s).
thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby thistlebarrow » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:16 am

Paintinglittlesods
It’s always nice to hear from someone who have taken part in the PBEM campaign, though I do not recognise your username. And I am particularly pleased to hear that you enjoyed reading back through the previous blogs.

Like you, I get bogged down in the details when running each campaign phase. As I mentioned above I tend to take the offensive side, so even though I write orders for both armies I do so with two “different hats”. I always write the defending side orders first. These are dictated by the campaign objectives and the general progress of the campaign to date. I leave it 24 hours before I write the offensive side. These are again dictated by the campaign objective, but being the aggesssor they have much more freedom of choice. It is really surprising that despite being French and Allied commander plus Umpire, each campaign always develops in a series of unforeseen circumstances. This may well be because supply and battle casualties have such a large impact on what each corps can do.

However at the end of each phase I then look at its impact on the whole campaign in that area. When I update the campaign summary for the geographical area concerned I then see the whole picture. This happens again when the next campaign in that area is being planned. Only this time the previous campaigns dictate the background for the coming campaign phase.

It is only very, very rarely that I consider the overall 1813 campaign. In fact this has only happened once. During the PBEM campaign all five areas were fighting at the same time. When I resorted to a solo campaign I decided I would only fight one geographical area at a time. To make this work I had to declare an Armistice for the 1813 campaign. I could then consider how the whole campaign was going, and make adjustments to the interface between armies. This had no real practical impact on the campaign. But it did tidy up the overall campaign, and I got some satisfaction from discovering that it all still made sense

I still miss the interaction of the PBEM, and I hope that I may be able to convert the solo campaign back again. I have played with ideas for a whole new campaign, completely different from 1813. But I have not been able to come up with a better “mousetrap”. And I don’t want to dilute my interest in this successful model by trying to run two completely different campaigns at the same time.
thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby thistlebarrow » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:04 am

The campaign has ended in a French victory. There is a short summary of the campaign on the campaign diary blog

http://1813pbemcampaigndiary.blogspot.com.es/
thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Return to Wargaming