Photobucket

Deployment

General Wargaming Discussion

Deployment

Postby ochoin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:38 am

The initial deployment of your army should carry some weight in terms of its battlefield performance. That’s a commonplace remark. I’m curious in how various rule sets approach deployment.

Some, I know, are quite casual. This may well suit if units are fairly manoeuvrable & quick enough to implement needed adjustments. Others are quite intricate. However it’s approached, deployment should reflect your army composition, terrain, your opponent’s deployment & your ultimate battle-plan.

As I’m gearing up for a two day game in a few weeks, the Field of Glory: Ancients rules seem worth putting out as an example.

The army is divided into quarters, which are placed on the table in turn, starting with the player who does not have initiative. Clearly starting second is an advantage & initiative is “won” via a combination of the quality of generalship, the inclusion of various units suited to scouting (eg Light Horse) and a dice throw.

To not labour the point, which units are deployed first & where can be used to “wrong foot” your opponent. Clearly, cheap & fast-moving units such as skirmish foot are placed on the table early whilst, for example, my more or less immobile Bolt-shooters will be placed last, after I see where my opponent places his elephants!

The bad aspect of this system is it takes additional time though you really should come to the table with your deployment more or less worked out as part of your battle plan. I mostly like the system as it is one of the areas where something resembling generalship is necessary.

Please feel free to critique the FoG system &/or to describe other deployment systems for any type of rules.

donald
ochoin
Second Lieutenant

Re: Deployment

Postby Kreoseus » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:26 am

Ay up

I have won & lost games of basic impetus ( and DBM back in the day) on the deployment. Sometimes you get it wrong and muddle through. I have seen players get whooped because they were still trying to fix their deployment mistakes when the enemy hit.

Phil
I need your clothes, your boots and your unicycle...
Kreoseus
Major

Postby Stavka » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:16 am

The old Tactica Ancient rules were won or lost on deployment- armies moved virtually on automatic, so once the game started it was practically impossible to do anything to counter a faulty deployment.

May have been a good simulation of the historical reality, but didn't always make for an entertaining evening of wargaming.

Trajanic Roman armies would just win anyway.
"So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly arise and make them miserable."
-Aldous Huxley

http://serreslesrangs.blogspot.jp
Stavka
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Nordic weasel games » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:57 pm

One thing I liked from older 40K scenarios was that it had an order in which units had to deploy.

So heavy support went on the table first while elite and fast attack units went on last.

When doing the Battle Mission scenarios, I've been adapting them to things like WW2, so your armored cars are fragile but they get to set up knowing where the PAK front is sitting.
Conversely, a Tiger might have to set up before the Firefly.

One thing we messed with was allowing a limited number of units to start on the table BUT you could voluntarily make a unit half-strength to deploy it alongside them rather than coming on in reserve.
Creator of all manner of games from black powder to laser guns
http://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games
Nordic weasel games
Private
Private

Postby ochoin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:51 pm

One of the benefits with giving deployment some weight is that it can be used to echo strengths & weaknesses in scouting ability, differences in command ability & expertise & knowledge of the local terrain.

One "tweak", for example, is making an invader deploy first whilst his opponent deploys afterwards to show local knowledge.

donald
ochoin
Second Lieutenant

Return to Wargaming