Photobucket

Combat Patrol

General Wargaming Discussion

Combat Patrol

Postby GavinP » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Anyone else playing this? We are liking it a lot. A couple of areas I think the rules could have benefitted from clarity and expansion and also from being a little less "American". I think had they been marketed differently then they would potentially have had a lot more traction.

For house rules we are looking at bolting on the patrol phase, some force morale rules and also streamlining the reaction to by team (something odd about an entire gun crew passing reaction and the gunner not, or other wierdness) as well as some changes to the terrain rules (we aren't happy with crops for example being either open or area terrain, so we are giving cover but not restricting LoS)
GavinP
Beardo
Beardo

Re: Combat Patrol

Postby Norman D. Landings » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:49 pm

We've had a go - found it very much a game of two halves.

The central mechanism of the 'tracker bar' on the card is just brilliant. Straightforward, easy to get the hang of, and bulletproof.

Everything that doesn't follow the tracker bar mechanism feels clunky and bolted on, and just plain doesn't run as smoothly.
Spotting in particular seems tailor-made for the tracker bar, but instead requires the addition of a dice.

Talked to Buck Surdu about this on TMP: he said the design aesthetics of the cards were such that they didn't want to clutter them with another tracker, but that he's rethinking that now.

I personally loathe the individual morale tests. Ten men, ten different reactions to keep track of? What a ballache.
Also, it feels wrong to me. You stand - because your mate stands. OR: You run - because everybody else is running.
One test per group is fine by me.

Distances are short - we played 28mm, and one of our group pointed out that it seemed a better fit for 20mm. I didn't see a problem there, TBH.
Norman D. Landings
Second Lieutenant

Postby GavinP » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:25 pm

We are in 20mm. Most of our previous fire fights have been at short range due to close normandy terrain. This is the first gam we have been banging away at medium and long range.

The tank mechanics seem clunky. The spotting rules have been rewritten in the FAQ to use the cards instead and we will be using that going forward.

Not sure what you mean by individual morale tests. Each morale chit is resolved by team, not individual. They can have individual results but that's not what I'm reading from your comments.

Did you find it quicker than dice? We do. You don't have to find them. Count them. Shake them. Roll them then work out what it is. Sounds daft but that is how it seems to us.
GavinP
Beardo
Beardo

Postby Norman D. Landings » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:36 pm

Yeah, the individual results - this guy runs, this guy stands, this guy has to test again next round. Did not like.

W-a-y quicker than dice. And gives a more even spread of results, too.
But then I am a fan of card-driven games in general. I'll happily Pig Wars 'til the cows come home.
Norman D. Landings
Second Lieutenant

Postby Nordic weasel games » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:45 pm

Is there a decent summary of the rules online somewhere? I am kinda curious.
Creator of all manner of games from black powder to laser guns
http://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games
Nordic weasel games
Private
Private

Postby GavinP » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:39 pm

http://www.bucksurdu.com/Buck_Surdu/Combat_Patrol.html

https://youtu.be/n0hinO2KaMY

There are more youtube videos on the first link.

@NDL, yeah, I see what you mean. However we have found few of those thus far, many more "remove all pips" than adverse reactions. Also if they're all the same GUTS in the team, just use the randomiser on the morale card to pick the figure. It's a bit clunky but I'm not sure how else to do it. Maybe all team based results, but then you will end up with far more static games I guess??
GavinP
Beardo
Beardo

Return to Wargaming