Photobucket

Do you summarize?

General Wargaming Discussion

Do you summarize?

Postby Norman D. Landings » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:59 pm

I do.

When I'm trying to get my head round a new ruleset, I find it much easier to run through a couple of rounds, and learn by doing rather than by reading.

But that's not always practical.
So when its just me and a rulebook, I find the best way to get a grip on the rules is to sit with a notepad and briefly summarize what I've read.
Sounds like extra effort when you lay it out like that, but it's actually way easier on the brain-jelly than 're-read until memorized'.

Anybody else get all studious 'n whatnot?
Norman D. Landings
Second Lieutenant

Re: Do you summarize?

Postby Ronan the Librarian » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:35 pm

As someone who is quite happy (well, not happy perhaps - prepared might be a better word) to admit that he is long past the age of "re-read until memorized", I'd say that is a good system. The only reason I don't use it is that I tend to be lazy and hang around until someone shows me how the rules work (mostly by playing a game with me).
Ronan the Librarian
Major

Postby Herkybird » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:29 pm

I tend to read them, and if possible, watch someone else playing them, then try playing.
Herkybird
Private
Private

Postby Norman D. Landings » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:38 pm

I call shenanigans on that, H. Nine times out of ten, you know 'em 'cos you wrote 'em.
Norman D. Landings
Second Lieutenant

Postby ochoin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:56 pm

Norman D. Landings wrote:I do.

When I'm trying to get my head round a new ruleset, I find it much easier to run through a couple of rounds, and learn by doing rather than by reading.

Quick flip through followed by a close reading & then run the simulations.
I've also been known to run through tactics in the privacy of my own home before a game with pals.

donald
ochoin
Second Lieutenant

Postby Stavka » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:03 am

Read them through, take some Bufferin, try and work them out in my head, then forget all the important stuff the day of the game.

Recently I've taken to doing small run throughs on the tabletop (when space is available- it's too much hassle getting the table out and set up just for a dry run). I do take notes on the iPad, though, and Post-it's are my friend.
"So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly arise and make them miserable."
-Aldous Huxley

http://serreslesrangs.blogspot.jp
Stavka
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Kreoseus » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:55 am

Read through, have a QRS if there is one and give it a bash, Look closely at stuff that crops up that doesn't seem to make sense and repeat.
Always repeat.
Phil
I need your clothes, your boots and your unicycle...
Kreoseus
Major

Postby vexillia » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:11 am

Norman D. Landings wrote:When I'm trying to get my head round a new rule et, I find it much easier to run through a couple of rounds, and learn by doing rather than by reading. But that's not always practical.

So when its just me and a rulebook, I find the best way to get a grip on the rules is to sit with a notepad and briefly summarize what I've read. Sounds like extra effort when you lay it out like that, but it's actually way easier on the brain-jelly than 're-read until memorized'.

Anybody else get all studious 'n what not?

Yes and No.

Like you I prefer doing to reading but I will read the rules a few times before the demo games. Like you I usually end up reading the rules in detail but I don't summarise instead I tend to focus on areas that didn't click during the demo games.

Sadly, I'm a fan of the flow chart as learning aid and for dissembling rules as you will see if you click on this link. Over many years I've stuck to this method because lots of rules appear logical and linear in the rule book, or on the QRS, but that's usually (read as nearly always) not the case.

From DBMM through FOG to ADLG it seems that the rules authors have seldom looked at the flow of the rules processes in use. They start with a basic framework and then proceed to bugger about with it to make it work. The worst rules do this a lot. This often breaks the framework.

This isn't to say the rules are bad merely that they end up with a lot of special circumstances to remember. This can put people off, slow down play or both. ADLG is a perfect example with an apparently simple shooting process that hides a very complex multi-step process.

I have become adept at spotting where and when they've started "tweaking" the rules. The first sign is when it's really hard to produce a chart for the full process. Once that's done it's then often glaringly obvious just where the process has branched leading to more and more outcomes.
Martin Stephenson
Vexillia: Shop | Rules | Twitter
Personal stuff: The Waving Flag | Auctions
vexillia
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby Herkybird » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:04 pm

Norman D. Landings wrote:I call shenanigans on that, H. Nine times out of ten, you know 'em 'cos you wrote 'em.

Just cos I wrote them, don't mean I know them!
I need to remember which version of each rule section I finally went for!

Actually, my reply was about rules I was introduced to, Lilly Banners, Sails of Glory, Combat Patrol, amongst others :zap:
Herkybird
Private
Private

Postby Norman D. Landings » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:13 am

:lol: I know.... I just couldn't resist it!
Norman D. Landings
Second Lieutenant

Postby MartinR » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:41 am

Writing things down helps me both make sense of things and remember them. That is how my brain works.

So yes, I summarise (and write my own QRS).
MartinR
Private
Private

Postby Nordic weasel games » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:49 pm

It's a common school teacher technique to have the student read something, then write it down, preferably in their own words.

I often read out loud to memorize things. I suppose it helps keep the cat company :D
Creator of all manner of games from black powder to laser guns
http://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games
Nordic weasel games
Private
Private

Return to Wargaming