Photobucket

1813 Wolfsburg Campaign

General Wargaming Discussion

1813 Wolfsburg Campaign

Postby thistlebarrow » Mon May 08, 2017 9:31 pm

The next phase of the 1813 campaign is set in northern Germany and continues Napoleon’s attempt to defeat Blucher. This is the sixth campaign between the two. Napoleon won three of the earlier phases and Blucher won two.

Napoleon commands the four corps of the First French Army, one of the corps is the French Old Guard. This presents an interesting problem from a wargame point of view, namely how to deal with the “superman” elite formations.

One of the first wargame figures I bought was a French grenadier guardsman. He, and his many replacements, have spent a lot of years collecting dust on my wargame shelves.

When I started this campaign about ten years ago I was determined that I would use all of my model soldiers in rotation, including the Imperial Garde. I know that they were used as the reserve of the French Army, but I wanted to use them regularly on the wargames table.

In each of my ten campaign armies there are four corps. Each has a different combination of infantry brigades which are either elite, average or poor. Most corps have one elite and either two average or two poor brigades.

Obviously the Old Guard had to have a larger proportion of elite and no poor brigades. I eventually settled for one elite and three average infantry brigades. The cavalry are also elite, but the artillery average.

To balance the entire army each of the other three corps lost their elite infantry brigade. Their order of battle was now two average and two poor brigades.

Napoleon now has one above average corps and three below average corps.
Blucher has four average corps,

As a result Napoleon is no more likely to win a campaign than is Blucher. As explained above out of the five campaigns already gamed he had won three against two to Blucher.

The introduction to the Wolfsburg campaign is now on the campaign diary blog, and it includes a shortened order of battle. The full order of battle can be found by clicking on label 11 and label 12 on the right of the blog.

http://1813pbemcampaigndiary.blogspot.com.es/
thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Re: 1813 Wolfsburg Campaign

Postby thistlebarrow » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:34 am

The Wolfsburg campaign ended in a decisive French victory.

Napoleon won six of the seven battles fought, routed the Prussian army and captured all of their depots.

The campaign started on 8 May and ended on 24 July 2017

This was the sixth campaign fought in Northern Germany. The French won three and the Prussians also won three.

The current blog has a summary of the whole campaign and links to orders of battle, daily summary and battle reports. You can find it here:
http://1813pbemcampaigndiary.blogspot.com.es/
thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby Nordic weasel games » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:15 pm

Huzzah for the revolution!

Harsh luck for the Prusskies. Things just didn't work out for them?

I'll read through the battle reports later on lunch break :)
Creator of all manner of games from black powder to laser guns
http://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games
Nordic weasel games
Private
Private

Postby thistlebarrow » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:46 am

The Prussians have done quite well, all things considered. They are fighting against the First French Army, which is led by Napoleon and includes the Imperial Garde. In wargames terms this means a Gifted Commander (extra command points) and the best quality troops in the whole campaign. On the debit side the other three corps in the French army are all relatively low quality troops. In the circumstances to win three out of six campaigns is pretty good going.
thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Return to Wargaming