Photobucket

A Comprehensive Wargames System

General Wargaming Discussion

Re: A Comprehensive Wargames System

Postby thistlebarrow » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:41 am

I started my campaign in 2008 and it has run without break despite converting from solo to PBEM and back to solo. The secret of its long life is that it is a series of mini campaigns within an overall framework of a fictional campaign.

Each mini campaign, or “campaign phase”, is self-contained. Each is designed to use one of my five wargame armies and located in one of the five campaign areas.

At the start of each campaign phase both armies are at full strength, and have four days supplies. The introduction sets with scene with a brief history of their earlier campaign phases within the overall 1813 campaign. The campaign diary blog is designed so that anyone can access each campaign day and each battle fought.

In this month’s post I explain how these phases work. You will find it on my “Napoleonic Wargaming” blog here

http://napoleonicwargaming.blogspot.com/
thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby ochoin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:01 pm

As always, fascinating stuff.

BTW have I ever complimented you on your blog?

donald
ochoin
Second Lieutenant

Postby thistlebarrow » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:13 pm

Hi Donald

I believe you have commented favourably about the blog, but I have no objection at all to you doing so again! Any constructive comment is very welcome, and complementary ones even more so.

I currently write three blogs each week (is there such a thing as a “blog geek”?). The longest running one is Napoleonic Wargaming, in which this series of blogs appears. I write that once a week, and it can sometimes be difficult to find a new subject, hence my detailed series about my “comprehensive wargames system”.

The second is about living and walking in Spain. We walk twice a week during the walking season from October to June, and take a break during the hot summer months. This blog started as a way of keeping friends and relatives in the UK up to date with what we are doing. It is now mostly a record of the two walking groups I belong and the walks we do each week. During the walking season I post twice a week on this one.

The third is the busiest. For many years I have published a blog which is a diary of my 1813 campaign. It was started to record the daily progress of my then solo campaign, but became popular when I converted the campaign to PBEM and had ten players taking part. Now that I have reverted to solo I find that it is a good discipline to make me write up the campaign most days. Without that discipline I would not work on the campaign so much, would then have less battles to fight and consequently less wargames to play.

I have found, as I suspect most bloggers to, that I get very few comments on any of the blogs. In the early days I was discouraged as I felt this meant there was little interest. However I have always had considerable numbers visiting all three blogs. I now feel that the number of visits indicates how popular the blog is, rather than the number of actual comments.

However it is always pleasant to receive comments, and particularly complimentary ones.

Regards

Paul
thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby thistlebarrow » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:17 pm

This week I explain how I handle battle and attrition casualties in my campaign.

I wanted battle, or wargame, casualties to have an ongoing effect on the brigade and corps concerned for the remainder of the campaign. But I did not want heavier casualties in the first battle to result in what I call the “steam roller” effect. By that I mean the loser will start the next battle with a greatly reduced chance of winning due to battle casualties. This unbalance will increase throughout the campaign.

I overcome this by replacing battle casualties providing that the corps concerned is in supply, not moving and not in contact with the enemy. However 10% of casualties (or one “pip” in wargame rule terms) remain throughout the campaign. This reduces the morale and combat effectiveness of the brigade concerned by minus 1 on each morale or combat dice throw.

I explain it in a little more detail on the blog, which you can find here

thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby thistlebarrow » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:10 pm

I have found that getting campaign supply right is really very difficult. There is a tendency to have very complicated supply rules, however they become a great burden to administer.

This week I explain how I tackled this problem. I developed these rules when it was a PBEM campaign. I wanted logistics to play a vital role, and to punish any commander who did not plan ahead to ensure his supply lines. However the rules would have to be easy enough for casual players to handle, and realistic enough for most (if not all) players to accept as reasonable.

I explain what I wanted to achieve, and how I did so, in the blog here

thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby thistlebarrow » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:15 am

It has been my experience that the most difficult part of a campaign is the interface between the map campaign and wargaming the battles on the table. This is particularly so in multi player campaigns, when the wargame decides the outcome of their strategic planning and manoeuvring. I suspect that it will remain so whatever system is used to fight the battles as wargames. However my system has the advantage that the whole campaign has been planned to provide wargames (not just map battles) to decide the outcome.

This week I explain how I handle this problem. It is at this stage that the real advantage of my whole wargame system becomes clear.

As always you can find the blog here

thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby thistlebarrow » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:56 am

This week I give a brief history of the campaign and explain how the sequence works. This is the last in this series of blogs. I hope that you have enjoyed them or even found them interesting or useful.

If anyone would like any further information, or any assistance in setting up your own system, I would be happy to help.

As always you will find the blog here
thistlebarrow
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Wargaming