Photobucket

Reserve De Paris - uniforms?

General Wargaming Discussion

Reserve De Paris - uniforms?

Postby MarshalNey » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:19 pm

Any ideas as to the uniform of the reserve battalions of Paris in 1814? I'm talking about the division commanded by general Gerard which took part at the battle Brienne in January that year? I'm guessing that they would be a rag-tag mixture of greatcoats and whatever was to hand.
MarshalNey
Private
Private

Re: Reserve De Paris - uniforms?

Postby BaronVonWreckedoften » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Have a look at the Perry website - the French Waterloo range packs FN145-150 might be what you are looking for.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Major

Postby MarshalNey » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:21 pm

Ok, thanks will do.
MarshalNey
Private
Private

Postby MarshalNey » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:30 pm

I checked their website and the uniforms look decidedly 1806-ish. Will make for an interesting unit or two.
MarshalNey
Private
Private

Postby BaronVonWreckedoften » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:46 pm

I think it was the 1814 battles Alan had in mind when he sculpted those - I just wasn't sure if Garde de Paris and Reserve de Paris were the same unit(s).
BaronVonWreckedoften
Major

Postby aecurtis » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:53 am

Ronan the Librarian wrote:I think it was the 1814 battles Alan had in mind when he sculpted those - I just wasn't sure if Garde de Paris and Reserve de Paris were the same unit(s).

The Garde de Paris had been disbanded and reformed as a line regiment in January 1813, so they wouldn't be their old selves in 1814. I'm not sure of the composition of Gerard's Division de Reserve de Paris at Brienne (sometimes referred to in modern English sources as the Paris Reserve Corps). It's not clear exactly what that designation indicates.

At La Rothiere, Duhesme, who like Gerard had commanded a division under Victor at Brienne (and who was still under Victor) had a tiny, four-battalion division of single battalions of older regiments. Dufour, who had commanded the third division under Victor at Brienne, had (at La Rothiere) eleven single-battalion regiments: a mix of older regiments and the single-battalion regiments which had been converted from the cohorts of the Garde Nationale.

Being too lazy tonight to go search in a book or anything drastic like that, my suspicion is that Gerard's Division de Reserve de Paris also included single-battalion regiments converted from Garde Nationale cohorts: perhaps entirely, perhaps with older regiments. As the Garde Nationale battalions/regiments wore the same uniforms as the Ligne, I'd say you're safe using the Perry Bardin uniforms, however you choose to designate the units.

If you need something more definitive, I'd be happy to go digging. I'll be shuffling things about on the bookcases tomorrow and might actually find something!

Allen
aecurtis
Llama Corporal
Llama Corporal

Postby MarshalNey » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi Allen,

I'm looking for the excuse to paint up some units with a mixture of bicornes and shako's!

I wonder what they had for flags?

Ken
MarshalNey
Private
Private

Return to Wargaming