Photobucket

Anyone put a Redoubt Trojan War chariot together?

General Wargaming Discussion

Anyone put a Redoubt Trojan War chariot together?

Postby Raglan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:01 pm

I have just started a 28mm Trojan War project using Redoubt figures.

The chariots fit together easily, except for the central yoke bar which is supposed to thread through the rails of the chariot and then drop down into a hole in the main shaft of chariot. Anyone had any experience of constructing these little beauties?

Cheers,
Gareth :?
Raglan
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Re: Anyone put a Redoubt Trojan War chariot together?

Postby aecurtis » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:16 pm

Yup, and it takes some fiddling. The upright on the upper tongue should be set right in front of the cab front, fitting into the hole in the lower tongue and axle assembly. The long end goes forward and attaches to the yoke; the short end goes back under the top rail of the cab and butts up against the cab center divider (if you use the divider; you can clip the short end even shorter). Give the lower tongue a good "S" curve upwards, or at least a couple of kinks, to cause the top tongue to be level; its end fits into the hole in the bottom of the yoke.

The Redoubt line drawings don't really show how it all works except to indicate that the upper tongue's long end should be level with the ground.

Dean Moto's DM gallery has some good examples of (I think) all the possible chariot variations, correctly assembled:

http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Hachimantaro/gallery/1562/ An example:

Be sure *not* to attach the yoke to the lower tongue, leave the tongue straight-ish, and try to put the upper tongue against the very top of the yoke, as some people do. This will unbalance the rig as shown here, and would tip the crew out the back of the damn thing:

Hope that helps.

Allen
aecurtis
Llama Corporal
Llama Corporal

Postby bigredbat » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:58 pm

Those are lovely looking chariots of Dean's!
bigredbat
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby Raglan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:00 am

Great advice Allen, thanks for taking the time to explain it.

It certainly is a fiddly job, just wondering if I snip off the cab divider will this make it less stable?

Gareth
Raglan
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby aecurtis » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:48 am

De nada!

No, I don't think it would hurt at all to snip off the bit that goes atop the wicker divider section, if used. I know some people leave out the divider in order to place the crewmen more easily. Since the rear end of the divider is not connected to anything, it shouldn't affect stability to leave it out.

I use either a two-part epoxy or a rubberized CA (Gorilla Super Glue) to assemble chariots and such, and that is sufficient to keep them together.

Allen
aecurtis
Llama Corporal
Llama Corporal

Postby Raglan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:35 pm

Cheers Allen,

Gareth
Raglan
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Return to Wargaming