Photobucket

Sales

General Wargaming Discussion

Sales

Postby valleyboy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:21 am

I note on TMP that Victrix are announcing that they are having a Christmas sale with 3 boxes for the price of 2

I thought traditionally Sales didn't start until January :o
I'm spent out at the moment, having just placed an Old Glory order so will not be in a position to spend

Do the esteemed members think that Sales around this time are sensible and worth taking advantage of?
When should they be - pre or post Christmas
What or who would you like to see having a Sale and how would it affect your purchasing?
Would you save for several months beforehand in anticipation of such an event for example

Please bullsh.... err I mean discuss :)
valleyboy
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Re: Sales

Postby levied troop » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:30 am

Pre-Christmas sales are usually a sign of weakness in times of recession - retail analysis suggest that there's been an increasing 'who blinks first' approach in the run up to Christmas, where shoppers generally delay Christmas shopping well into December in a attempt to force early discounting. Stores want to sell at full-price at the most frantic time of the year, but not be left with large stocks unsold on Boxing Day.

This is at least true for the UK, not sure about other countries. Also not sure if it affects a cottage industry such as wargaming but I've friends that run small shops and they've said before that if they could only open for December they would, as the vast majority of their profit comes in that month only.

Sales are always worth taking advantage of, if it's something you'd normally want. But how many of us have been tempted into a new period because of a convienent sale? Naughty members :twisted:
The League of Gentleman Anti-Alchemists
'We turn gold into lead'
levied troop
Llama Enthusiast
Llama Enthusiast

Postby TerryO » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:43 am

Kerry Old Boy.....its Xmas.....u know u need a prezzie other than sox.....or a piece of coal if u been 2 naughty(which would include not adding some Guard to yer Polish troopies).....I shall be partaking in some Middle Guard......the kids will have to rely on Santa this year!

Terry :lol:
TerryO
Recruit
Recruit

Postby olicana » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:57 am

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

When Renegade did their deal of half price plus five for four I cancelled a Napoleonic project and bought 2000 Punic wars figures. When offered 40% discount on Flames of war product I bought £2200 worth of Western Desert stuff for Operation Crusader and the Napoleonic project got put back yet again.

Both of these projects were in the pipeline for the future and not 'ooh, it's shiny' silly purchases, but an offer is an offer and you should fill your boots when you can. You never know, when it comes time for the Napoleonics, there might be a sale on.

I recently came across Foundry's 22 packs for the price of 16 offer. You guessed it.....

Timing of sales is down to the industry and its own seasonal variables. I don't know, but perhaps, given the fact that most big purchases of figures will be made by dads for themselves, dads will be putting off self serving purchases at this time of the year because they are spending their hard earned on less important things for other people. A sale might make them spend when they wouldn't otherwise. Then again, it might just be that Mrs Victrix wants something expensive for Christmas this year and Mr Victrix needs the cash flow.
My whoring and daubing: http://olicanalad.blogspot.co.uk/
olicana
Company Sergeant
Company Sergeant

Postby grizzlymc » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:15 pm

You can save money by buying toys - how can that be bad?
grizzlymc
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Return to Wargaming